Things I Learned During NaNoWriMo 2011:
1. I’m completely insane (I knew that already, but further proof is always fun).
2. I’m not as insane as I thought (There are 5,548 people who signed up of for the Portland area Region alone! Look! I’m not the only crazy person!)
3. Distractions are my friend! Can you say SIMS? Facebook? Books? (I managed to read 13 books during NaNoWriMo) Long conversations with friends? Even occasionally….cleaning?
4. Since I am very easily distracted, to-do lists, notes about where my story is going next, and giving myself motivating rewards are a must!
5. Writing really does beget more writing! I started this blog and made a number of notes about other things I’d like to work on, and I’m really excited about going back and finishing my original book!
6. When there’s a mystery in your story it helps if you know before your characters do what the answer is, but if that fails, walk around the house talking to yourself!
7. I start dialog sentences with “Oh!” too much. I talk like that too.
8. Coffee is my friend!
- Fancy coffee’s
- Water (Occasionally….ooops!)
- Diet Dr. Pepper
- Mint tea
- Hot chocolate
- English Breakfast tea
- Kahlua (not enough!)
-Most of the rooms in my apartment (not the bathroom, but I did figure several things out in the shower)
- Ava Roasteria
- Sweetness Bakery
- On the bus.
- On the side of the road in a bus stop.
- PDX airport
- On airplane.
- In hotel room.
- In a retirement center
- Losing 6,000 words (that’s 2 1/2 chapters!)
- Sprained wrist
- Distractions (duh!)
- Writing while traveling (and the exhaustion I end up with on the road.)
- Handling car repairs.
- P!nk - Greatest Hits So Far
- Matt Kearney - Young Love
- Sugarland - Incredible Machine
- P0TC Soundtracks 1-3
- Flogging Molly - All cd’s but newest