Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week One of Set Writing Goals

Before I start talking about where I'm at in my writing goals - I wanted to share something fun with you! I mentioned on Tuesday that I won the Book Mark Break Challenge this year, and the prize was that she featured me on her blog. I'm very excited about it as its my first time being featured since I rejoined the bloggy world, so I'd really appreciate my lovely readers heading over there and checking it out.  Just don't forget to come back and read this post and leave me a comment! 



Today marks the end of my first week of ROW80! (If you don't know what that is go here.) It's been a weird week, but a good one. Most of my plans got changed around, but I still got a lot done, and I had some invaluable girl time that I don't regret for a minute, so that makes me once very content writer. Mr. Muse is happy too. 

The Goals and what I accomplished:

1. Write 750 words minimum a day - I did it! I had one day where I was really sick and almost didn't do it, but that's why I've set up a reward. If I do my 750 words every day I get to buy a book - and I really want to buy a book! It was enough to get me to the computer. Most of what I wrote that day was trash, but reading back over it today it was interesting to see how some of what I wrote set me off on things I worked on the next day, without even remembering I'd made a note about it while sick! See? Even sick ramblings can be useful.

2. Jemnath - Ch’s 16 &17 - I barely made this goal ... by writing at least half of it today. But hey, the goal was there, this blog post was looming over my head, and it got written. Isn't that what joining ROW80 is all about? I know I do much better when I both have set goals, and a system of accountability. Of course we'll have to see what future weeks hold, but so far it's working!

3. Misfits - Read Through & Hatchet Attack - This is a lesson in needing to adjust goals. I'm not done with the read through - and I haven't done the hatchet attack yet because I have to finis the read through first! I'm ok with that though because I am 30% of the way through my read through, and I put a bunch of hours in it. It's just taken me longer to do than I expected because of the type of notes I'm taking. So I've adjust my goals, dedicated next week to trying to finish the read through (hopefully life will cooperate a little better than it did this week), and going from there. If you look at my goals page you'll see both that I updated it with this weeks results, and I've already adjust my editing goals to match reality!

How is your writing going? Are you meeting your goals? Do you need to adjust your goals like I had to when faced with reality?

~ Ruthie ~

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting so much writing done! I'm a bit frustrated because all I have time for these days is promotion, but that's necessary too, unfortunately.

    Keep up the good work and have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically I've set myself quite a lot of goals this year, and yet the way I've set it out isn't too overwhelming. 1000k a week of new writing, 1 chapter to revise, 1 song to write, 1 short story revision, etc. It adds up to a fair bit but not nearly as much as I was doing last year at various points. So far, so good. But there's only one week down so far. :)

    I'm travelling in a few months so I'll have less ability to keep up then, but I'll catch up with it all later on.

    Anyway! going to check out your featured-ness at that other blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome week! I love that what you wrote while you were sick filtered in to the next day's work without you realizing it. Our minds are so cool!

    Way to go! See you at the next check-in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on winning the Book Mark Break Challenge!

    I've been struggling with my goals too, mostly because of family matters. Need to prioritize things and manage my time better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your comment "even sick ramblings can be useful." It said it all! I try to put butt in chair, because writing is better than not writing any day. I may trash it all, but I usually learn something from it.

    And congrats on your win. I truly believe the more you read, the better writer you will be.

    Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete