Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday - Full of Distractions (ROW80)

That's right, my week so far has been full of distractions. Some of them good (lunch with a friend) and some of them mundane (like laundry) but full none the less. Today was supposed to be a day of writing with a little bit of house work mixed in - but my plans have been derailed! 

It's a good derailing though. See that cute couple on the left? That's my "baby" brother Peter and his wife Tanya wearing some of the knit & crocheted items my Mom made (I know the hats were knit, and I have a feeling the scarf was crochet but I can't remember). They have been in town for Christmas (they live in Chicago) and I found out last night that there is a going away luncheon for them today! I was going to head up to Vancouver tomorrow, but I've moved all my plans around and I'm heading up today instead. Which should be a ton of fun and leaves tomorrow as a writing day instead! 

Despite all my distractions I've gotten a little bit of writing work done. My goals for this week are:

1. Write 750 words min. a day.
2. Jemnath - Ch’s 16 &17
3. Misfits - Read Through & Hatchet Attack

So far I'm going strong on the writing 750 words a day. I've promised myself a new book at the end of the month if I manage to do it every day so that's plenty of incentive! Yesterday's 750 was taken up writing chapter 16 in Jemnath (goal 2!). Every other chapter in this book is very short, between 450-800 words, so that was relatively easy to hammer out yesterday. The only downside is that means I have at least 2000 more words to write this week in that book, but with tomorrow and Friday pretty wide open that should be reasonable to accomplish.

I'm LOVING doing the read through of Misfits! I'm only through chapter 5 so far. I debated going through and just reading with out notes the first time versus taking detailed notes as I went a long and opted for the second option. In an ideal world I'd be able to keep my writing fingers still long enough just to take in the scope of the story - but I just couldn't do it. I am not only taking notes in my notebook, I am making 3x5 cards for each scene as I go along. It's all part of my master plan to take a hatchet to first draft! I'll explain more about that (with pictures!) in the ROW80 check in on Monday. 

For now - I gotta go take a shower, write my 750, and head out for Vancouver. Cheers!

~ Ruthie ~

9 comments:

  1. Have a great time at the luncheon! This is really what ROW80 is all about--having goals that leave us open and flexible to what life brings to us.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying your read-through, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've told myself a few times before that I'll "just do a read and think", but I always end up making notes about what to change, and also editing as I go. I'm addicted!!

    Re: ROW80, hmmm well maybe I can work it into my already established goals then? :) I'll think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Ruthie, but I cleaned out my emails this week and deleted your email address!!! Would you mind sending it to me again at redmatinee7007@aol.com. Then I can get the questionnaire that I finished last night out to you. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know. Your Feature for the Bookmark Break Challenge Questionnaire just went up!

    http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/2012/01/ruthie-one-of-our-bookmark-break.html

    AubrieAnne
    http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you on ROW80! Have a good time at the luncheon. I look forward to reading the next post on your work process with Misfits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your 750 words a day is going strong for you. I need to be more specific about my writing goals. Just saying that I will blog more regularly isn't enough. I've only blogged twice in this month. Not enough. I have to be more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must be blind or something but what is ROW80? I am going to find out and possibly join up. If its to this which you oh your organisation and commitment I'm up for that. NaNo had the same affect on my writing, but when it stops I became me again; social network addict and blogging maniac :) You are in my new blog roll at my new author blog too btw. http://shahwharton.blogspot.com/2012/01/welcome-to-my-author-blog-its-brand-new.html - Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great update! I love the idea of a book for incentive. I'm going to have to try that. Love your word totals. You're off to a great start.

    I look forward to following your progress this round. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the surprise lunch! That's always fun. Great goals and it sound like you're doing very well. I love the "hatchet attack" idea. I might have to borrow that :)

    ReplyDelete